European Union & Competition
The European Legal 500 2012 ranks the Firm in the First Tier for its European Union & Competition practice and Panayotis Bernitsas and Augustine Almyroudi as Leading Individuals.
Click here to find out what the Legal 500 say about us.
Chambers Europe 2012 ranks the Firm and Panayotis Bernitsas in the First Band for its Competition/European Law practice.
Click here to find out what Chambers say about us.
PLC Which Lawyer 2012 ranks the Firm as Highly Recommended for its Competition and Antitrust practice and endorses Panayotis Bernitsas and Augustine Almyroudi for their work in this area.
Click here to find out what PLC Which Lawyer says about us.
The history of our EU & Competition practice stretches back to the accession of Greece to the EU when Panayotis Bernitsas was appointed as expert advisor to the Ministry of National Economy and expert negotiator for the Hellenic Republic on transport policy, the steel and coal industries. Since then, the Firm has prepared numerous studies and reports, including on the Greek sales below cost legislation for the Hellenic Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the Greek legal framework for the acquisition of real property for the Consumer Protection Service of the European Commission, the harmonisation of national legislation with EU law on judicial protection against misleading advertising and on cabotage for the European Commission. We also have advised State entities on the implementation of EU Directives leading to the liberalisation of State monopolies, including the Hellenic Railways Organisation on the development of the railways in the EU.
The Firm has acted in a number of landmark cases in relation to monopolies and concerted practices and has represented the Hellenic Republic and domestic and international clients in negotiations with the EU on allegedly illegal State aids granted to Greek industries.
Our practice works closely with a number of international law firms, advising on Greek competition law issues arising in their transactions and on the implementation and effect of EU law in Greece. We often participate with correspondent law firms in tenders announced by the European Commission for the preparation of reports on EU law.
- alleged cartels and abuses of dominance, representing clients in hearings before the Greek Competition Commission and national courts
- the competition law aspects of mergers and acquisitions, privatisations and joint ventures
- notifications of mergers and acquisitions and applications for derogation to the Greek Competition Commission and the European Commission, which includes representing clients in proceedings
- State aid issues, including advising private and public entities on the application of State aid rules
- private antitrust litigation, representing clients claiming damages for breach of competition law before civil courts
- the compliance of commercial agreements entered into by companies and individuals operating in a range of sectors, including the car industry and pharmaceuticals, with EU and national antitrust rules
- dawn raids, including preparation of guidelines and instructions and providing on-site assistance
- alleged violations of EU law by the Greek State, and filing complaints to the European Commission
- the incorporation of EU directives into Greek law
- the competition and EU law aspects of commercial, corporate and banking transactions, which includes making representations before the authorities
- the national and EU consumer protection legislation
- the impact of EU and competition law on the operation of businesses in the car industry as well as the pharmaceuticals, energy, media and telecommunications markets
For more information on our European Union & Competition practice, please contact Augustine Almyroudi or Marina Androulakakis.